top of page

What To Do When Someone Dies

It can be a confusing time when someone you love passes away, so much information to take in without much brain space to understand any of it.

When someone passes away at home and the death is expected, your first point of call will be the nurses that have been providing care in the time leading up to the death, or the doctors surgery that they were registered with. Once they have attended to verify the death, you will need to contact a funeral director to arrange for your loved one to be taken in to their care.

If the death is unexpected, you will need to call 999 and ask for an ambulance and police. The operator will talk you through what to do next and send the appropriate services to you. 

If someone passes away in a hospital, nursing home or hospice the care professionals will advise what will happen next. If you are left feeling uncertain contact your chosen funeral director, who will be able to help and answer any questions you have.

Registering A Death

When a death is expected and happens in York the doctor will issue "The Medical Cause Of Death Certificate" directly to the registrar. You will be unable to book an appointment until they have received this certificate. Once received they will contact the next of kin to arrange an appointment. This will take place at West Offices, Station Rise YO1 6GA. There is on street pay and display parking available nearby. York registrars can be contacted by email on

If the death occured in North Yorkshire County Council District, you will need to register with one of their offices. These are located in Malton, Selby, Harrogate, Richmond, Northallerton, Scarborough, Whitby or Skipton. An appointment can be made on 01609 780780.

At this appointment you will get a "death certificate" (A Certified Copy Of An Entry Of Death). This is what you will need for banks, insurances etc. These are currently £11.00 per copy in England and payment will be taken over the phone by card when the appointment is made.

bottom of page